Happy Monday! Can you believe it’s Monday already? I sure can’t…
This weekend was strange. Brock and I initially had plans to visit Little Rock to see his family, some friends, and celebrate our 6 year (ahh!) anniversary together. Jack Frost had other plans…of course the time I don’t want bad weather, is when we get bad weather. I had to leave work a little early on Friday because it started snowing. It may have not been much but our town can barely handle any snow, and people flip out over a dusting. On my way home I already witnessed a few people driving too fast and skidding out of control.
We had dinner at home and watched the news. The weather man said we would receive the heaviest snowfall later the next day, maybe a dusting to an inch overnight. We both breathed sighs of relief, laughed and poured another drink.
The next morning we must have had at least 3 inches. We went ahead and packed up the Subaru and all 3 of us (Basquiat!) loaded into the car. It was hairy in some spots, but the car handled the road well…..until we hit the highway. I was really scared- and I could tell Brock was too! There were multiple accidents, and a car lost control and spinned in circles. If we had been any closer we would have been hit. We begrudgingly made the decision to turn back home, which was also scary. We went ahead and made the best of it though! We played board games, made dinner together, and I fell asleep too early, per usual. Desmond (our 3 legged cat bro) was extra cuddly this weekend and would not leave either us alone.
Yesterday most of the snow melted off (of course…) and I decided to make chicken noodle soup to lift our spirits. Plus I gotta get in all the soup making I can because there’s something not right about making a crock pot full of piping hot soup in the middle of July. This recipe is super simple and the crock pot does all the heavy lifting.
Get your ingredients together:
- 1.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 32 oz of chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 cups of diced carrots
- ½ cup of diced onion (or more if you’re into that)
- 1 diced jalapeno
- ½ tablespoon of dried thyme
- Pepper and Salt to taste ( I also used smoked spanish paprika)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
Let’s do this:
- Dice up all of your veggies
- Don’t touch your face after slicing the jalapeno, or if you’re me, run your hands all over your face so it feels like it’s on fire
- Place chicken in the bottom of the crock pot, drizzle with your olive oil and season
- Dump chopped veggies over chicken
- Pour chicken broth into crockpot- add 1 cup of water to this as well
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Boil your favorite egg noodles and pour into crockpot after your 6-7 hours.
- Enjoy with a glass of wine, crusty bread, and The Walking Dead.
I totally forgot to take a good photo of the soup. Mostly because the lighting in the house was bad and I was hungry. Whoops!